Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 15th, 2010



Another one of my favorite things about being Miss Tennessee's OT is getting the opportunity to work with my platform. My platform is hunger awareness. I chose this platform because of the 30 Hour Famine event my youth group had attended a couple of years ago. During a 30 Hour Famine, you go without food while completing community service work and having worship services. This enables you to understand the real effects of hunger that some children (and adults) go through every day. During this event, I learned about how much of a problem hunger really is, even in our small communities. If children do not get the nutrition they need, they are set up to fail later on in life. They cannot concentrate in school, develop behavioral problems, and develop health issues. Last Saturday, I was invited to help with the Stamp Out Hunger program at the Crockett Care Food Bank. During this event, anyone who wished to donate food to the food bank could put it in their mail boxes and the postman would pick it up. Once it reached the post office is where we came in. My granddaddy and I loaded up the goods and transported them to the actual facility. Once they reached the food bank, they were weighed and then sorted so they could be put to use. As I stayed to help sort the food with the rest of the volunteers, Granddaddy (as well as other men) went to pick up more food. In Crockett County alone, more than 500 pounds of food was donated!
After I finished helping out at the food bank, I headed to Union City to JoAnn's. Jared had asked me to help him emcee and perform at the Jr. and Miss South Fulton High School pageant. I had a great time meeting everyone who was judging while also getting to know Leah Beth Bolton more! After a few technical difficulties with my music, I performed my talent routine. I love being able to perform and show everyone the sport of baton twirling! We saw tons of beautiful girls that night and crowned two of them. Congratulations, girls! Thanks to all the parents who organized the pageant. It was great. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment